Here is how tomatoes can fight depression
Tomatoes are packed with lycopene, an antioxidant that reduces stress and repairs damaged brain cells. Eating a tomato every day of the week reduces your risk of suffering the blues by 52 per cent, according to the study. Benefits of eating tomatoes don’t just stop here, experts believe that tomatoes can also prevent various kinds of diseases like heart attacks and cancer. Sometimes, an aftershock of these conditions can trigger depression.
While most naturally occurring ingredients present in vegetables and fruits become less available to the body when the food is cooked, lycopene works in the reverse manner. The more your tomato is cooked or baked, the more your body is going to enjoy the benefits of lycopene. So even sauces and juices will give you the same benefits. Tomatoes also contain anti-inflammatory agents that in addition to its antioxidant content, might be responsible for improving cognitive function and psychological well-being.
Here are six amazing health benefits of tomatoes that you should know about.
Apart from fighting depression, here is what eating tomatoes can do for you:
- Prevents cognitive dysfunction and early onset of Alzheimer’s
- Helps to preserve bone health and osteoporosis
- Reduces risk of cardiovascular disease
- Lowers risk of certain types of cancers
- Reduces risk of skin damage from UV rays
- Promotes prostate health and retards abnormality in the gland